Monday, January 3, 2011

Kibbles and Bits...

End of another year and, as many do, I pause to look both back at the previous year and ahead at what may come. I looked back in my blog entries to find some unfinished drafts and decent thoughts within which I now unabashedly review and present this day as blog-filler (or 'clearing the mental-leftovers' if you will).

- There were no less than three posts which contained only a title and no body copy. Those titles were; "The Yellow Submarine", "Next Generations", and "Peter Brady". Fairly certain where I was going with the former two, but not the latter (fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to blog, son).

- A few unfinished 'for/against' or 'wish list' themed entries appear rightfully dated now, based on the happenings of 2010.

- A very long and incomplete summary of this year's Indy 500 trip was present.  I enjoyed reading my recap and now am wishing I had done this for each year I've gone.  Recently I've found great Indy daydream material when I get sucked into the detailed historical journals posted by Paul Dalbey over at MoreFrontWing.com. I'll post a snippet of mine here:

[...So in review, here are my impressions for the 94th Indy 500 - 2010.
1. Camping - My group of early-middle aged crazies (with the annual rookie tripper) again enjoyed the relative freedom found in 5 days of a lesser regard for manners, hygiene, liver protection, ambition, order, and calm. All in all, the camping portion of the trip was another success and the near-perfect weather was a huge factor in being able to enjoy the weekend to its fullest. An under-canopy bar and music area was new this year and was a rousing success. Duly noted.
2. Food and Beverage - I will say that the absence of the 4-star chef from our ranks was noticable on many levels but the no moreso than the decrease in ambition and direction shifting the eating to a more improvised dinner each night. The quality was still there, albeit a reduction in the anticipation of knowing what was ahead for our gullets each night was noted. We tried a keg this year in support of our multitudinous cases of beer. BeerFail. To keep the keg cold and palatable, a larger tub and more ice than we had available was required. I just returned it last night to retrieve my deposits, feeling like we had fallen short of expectations. Most, if not all, of us were just as happy with the numerous dirty 30s loaded and emptied in the 5-day iced coolers. Duly noted....]

I plan to continue my blogging here and, with the upswing in Indycar mojo, hope to make time for more timely and consistent entries for the seven (oops, just fact-checked my stats) make that, nine of you who read this.  My aim for 2011 is to continue to provide something that's not already being made out there. This requires the use of only my brain primarily so you can see how we're standing on shaky ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment