Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Hallowed Grounds

Winter provides an unusual opportunity to see the speedway in its dormancy.

Part of a work-related responsibility is to travel to Indy four times a year and at least three of those trips will involve a waypoint through the Museum and gift shop.  In typical fashion yesterday, I had stopped through on my way out of town and, despite missing the museum closing time, visited the recently remodeled (and very nice) gift shop.  The staff was typically friendly, helpful, and even chatty.  I enjoy this little interlude while perusing the new stock and looking for kids gifts (that they don't already have).

On my way out of the building, I noticed traces of snow on the track, near the walls in turn 1, the south chute, and turn 2.  I stopped in my tracks, struck at how I had never noticed this before.  Maybe I've never see it with snow present.  Very odd indeed I thought with some melting areas recalling the infamous weepers that would crop up nearly every race weekend in turn 3.  I also thought of a promotion photo used on the IMS website a few years ago with the still gorgeous old #32 Marmon Wasp on the snow-covered, front straight and how unusual that seemed. 

It also got my thoughts turned to the warmth of May and what lies ahead.  As I drove out I recalled that Al Unser once said he got chills every time he drives under the tunnel entering the track.

I got them entering and leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment